(Full or Part-Time considered)
Position: Development Assistant
Reports to Executive Vice President & General Manager
Description: The Development Assistant will assist the KDB General Manager and Station Manager in developing and maintaining donors, advertisers, foundations and other contributors to Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties only local classical radio station. The Associate will also help plan and implement advertiser, donor and listener events, direct mail solicitations and on-air membership drives. The Assistant interfaces with the KDB and Santa Barbara Foundation staffs and will perform other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Development (approximately 80%)
- Assists General Manager with developing major gift prospects including research, evaluation and cultivation; and may assist with “asks.”
- Assists GM in maintaining and upgrading donor relationships including processing of donor premiums, thank you calls and letters, and on-air acknowledgements. Works with GM and the Santa Barbara Foundation’s Development staff in developing and maintaining systems for processing.
- Assists GM in identifying and researching foundation prospects; assists in writing letters-of-inquiry and proposals for grants.
- Assists General Manager in developing appeal letters, lift notes and other collateral for direct mail solicitations; assists in the creation of station collateral (e.g. brochures, development and sales kits, and rate cards); handles getting materials to designer, printer and mail house.
- Assists in developing, maintaining and updating mailing lists (including email) for direct mail solicitations, KDB’s Listener Guide; maintains and updates list for on-air acknowledgements; interfaces with the Foundation’s Database Administrator.
- Assists in producing on-air membership drives which may include soliciting donor challenges, acquiring premiums, recruiting and coordinating schedules for volunteers, and writing scripts for on-air talent.
- Assists in creating KDB’s annual Development and Sales Plans.
- Writes, edits and distributes KDB’s monthly e-Newsletter.
- Interfaces with KDB Board’s Development Task Force and development staff at the Santa Barbara Foundation.
- Assists KDB’s Sales Manager (Station Manager) to research and develop new advertising prospects for broadcast, website, Listener Guide and other outlets; creates and mails collateral to prospects as necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication
- Outgoing personality
- Exceptional organizational and customer service skills
- Minimum two years experience in fundraising and/or sales preferably in radio
- Familiarity with the communities of south Santa Barbara County and Ventura County
- Familiarity with classical music preferred
- Experience with public radio membership drives preferred
- Excellent level of computer proficiency to include Windows operating systems, all Microsoft Office applications as well as Internet applications
- Knowledge of Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge Software program highly desirable as well as some graphic design experience
- Minimum 2-years of college
- Operates a variety of office machinery including copiers, printers, and fax machines.
- Must have own transportation and possess a valid California driver’s license and provide proof of insurance
Salary & benefits competitive
Cover letter and resume required. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 805-966-2345. No calls, please.
KDB is an equal opportunity employer.